The Tacoma Arts Commission and its staff play a vital role in supporting Tacoma's arts and cultural programs. They encourage the development of the local arts community through the administration of arts and cultural funding programs, managing the City's public art collection, and producing a variety of public programs that enhance and contribute to Tacoma's local economy.
For more information and a full list of opportunities visit cityoftacoma.org/artsopps.
Use this form to submit October arts and culture events for inclusion in Tacoma Arts Month promotions. This is NOT the application for the Tacoma Studio Tour.
Please note: Information for each event is automatically populated from each submission form, and therefore each event must be submitted separately. Thanks!
If you have questions, please contact Rachel Betron at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Tacoma Arts Commission is seeking to expand its Municipal Art Collection by purchasing colorful original portable artworks from Tacoma artists. Portable works can include 2-dimensional pieces and small-scale 3-dimensional pieces that fall within Artwork Eligibility guidelines as listed below. Media can include, but is not limited to: painting, drawing, works on paper, photography, printmaking, digital, collage, mosaics, fiber, mixed-media, and wall-mountable low-relief sculpture.
See the complete Call to Artists at cityoftacoma.org/artsopps.
BUDGET: Up to $20,000 in total purchases, including any required framing
• Must live in Tacoma, WA (Check this map to verify that you live within Tacoma city limits:
• Must be 18 years or older
• Cannot be a member of the Tacoma Arts Commission or a panel member for this purchase opportunity
• Panel will prioritize artists that are not currently represented in the portable collection, emerging artists, and artists from communities underrepresented in the collection
• Submit up to 3 pieces of existing artwork available for purchase
• Content/subject matter must be suitable for a general audience
• Must be able to be hung on a wall
• Artwork should be no smaller than 8” x 8” and no larger than 4’ x 4’. Artwork cannot extend further than 6” from the wall. Artwork may be composed of multiple pieces hung together
• Work should be submitted unframed. The Tacoma Arts Commission will take care of any required framing
• Must be an original artwork or signed and numbered limited edition
• Must be durable and require little maintenance
• Cannot require a power source or utilities such as an electrical outlet, batteries, or running water
• Price cannot exceed $1,500 per artwork submitted (excluding taxes)
The City of Tacoma’s Office of Arts & Cultural Vitality is seeking an artist or artist team to participate in the streetscape improvements along Tacoma’s East 64th Street, between Pacific Avenue and McKinley Avenue by creating permanent public artwork(s) along the streetscape to enliven this multi-modal transportation corridor running through this residential neighborhood. In addition, the artist will work with the design team to affect the aesthetic design of the streetscape and identify opportunities for discrete or integrated artworks to be incorporated into the streetscape design in future phases. The project should be informed by a meaningful community engagement process in order to reflect the needs of the community, create identity, and communicate an authentic sense of place. The selected artist will have experience working with diverse cultural communities and demonstrated success creating aesthetically strong artwork that results from community engagement.
See the full Call to Artists at cityoftacoma.org/artsopps.
- Applicant(s) must live in Washington State.
- Applicant(s) can apply as a single artist or as an artist team.
- Applicant(s) must be 18 years or older and not a full-time student.
- Applicant(s) must be a professional artist.
- Applicant(s) cannot be a member of the Tacoma Arts Commission or an employee of the City of Tacoma.
People who are members of historically disenfranchised racial, ethnic, cultural, and other identity groups are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT ARTS PROJECTS FUNDING
The Arts Projects program financially supports a variety of high quality arts projects throughout Tacoma. This funding can be used for artistic presentations, activities, workshops or projects that are accessible to the general public. Admission may be charged to these projects, as long as the application demonstrates public benefit. The arts activity may be a one-time event or a small number of events that are closely related. It may also be an ongoing project or neighborhood public art project.
See the full Application Guidelines at cityoftacoma.org/artsopps.